SIGNAL BOX is a City of Hobart initiative managed by Urban Smart Projects. Over ninety boxes have previously been painted as part of this program with participants as young as four years old helping to create the artworks. The existing works have been painted by solo artists and community groups.
Last summer twelve new boxes were painted around Hobart, with six community-based groups and six solo artists (or small teams of artists) painting boxes for a commission fee. Twelve (12) street cabinet artworks will be painted as part of this next round of commissions, ten (10) are open to the public while two (2) are reserved for schools.
Who can participate?
- Those who live, work or study within the City of Hobart. To view a Council area map click here.
- Artist who are under 18 years old are encouraged to apply
- Community groups are encouraged to apply
- Artists can work on this project alone or in a small group
- Artists who have painted previously can apply.
Who cannot apply?
- Employees of the City of Hobart
- Applications for Signal Box 2021 must be submitted and artwork examples emailed (if applicable) before 5:00pm (Australian Eastern Daylight Time) on Monday 18 October 2021. See Page 4 of the EOI for submission details.
- Successful artists will be notified on or before 29 October 2021.
- Design submissions from selected artists are to be provided by 17 November 2021.
- Painting dates will be negotiated with each approved artist within the painting period from December 2021 until end of February 2022. Painting of each box needs to be completed within two weeks or three weekends, weather permitting.
You can download the full EOI and access the submission form here.